header image by frl.zucker

Sunday 6 December 2009

Women and music, continued



DrunkenWerewolf is a music blog and printed magazine ran by Tiffany Daniels, who in the user info for the blog says:

"My name is Tiffany Daniels. Yes readers, that means I'm female.


Originally I didn't want to list any personal details here at all (I don't see why, when it comes to honest music recommendations, I should) but it's become necessary, because it sincerely annoys me when:
i) People assume I'm male.
ii) People realise I'm female and consequently assume DrunkenWerewolf's male writers are behind the wheel, and I'm some sort of scivvy, or, people realise I'm female and consequently assume I'm a lesbian.
iii) I only cover musicians because I have an ulterior motive.


None of the above is true. I started writing because I'm shit at playing music myself. As the ever quoted Kurt Cobain once claimed, "All music journalists are failed musicians". I cover under-exposed innovative artists because I genuinely believe they deserve more credit for what they're doing, and without blowing my own trumpet too hard I put a lot of effort into it. Certainly, the majority of the effort put into the magazine and this blog is my own. This does not mean I want to shag so-and-so or network to get myself a decent job. It simply means, I, a female, want to show support for the music that I love."

The project is incredible in its DIY ethic and self-funding, focus on local and unsigned/unhyped artists, open approach to collaborations, and an insistence on printing each issue, because "print >>> pdf". After it sells out, each issue is put up online for free: check them out here. And/or order the newest issue. Both can also be done from the magazine's MySpace.


Recently, Tiffany posted the following message:

"HEY WOMEN,


Feminism has extended its empowering hand and had an evening of sexist-related rage collide with Women's Enterprise Day. It's motivated me to do something about the sexism women face in the workplace, particularly in the media and music industry. I really think Joe Public associate sexist issues in the music industry with female musicians and female musicians alone; they don't appreciate the problem extends to the every day worker. Please shout about it with me! Repost this to your blog, journal, website, Twitter, MySpace, FaceBook etc...I want as many women involved as possible.

To celebrate the women who work behind the scenes in the media and music industry, I'm going to compile a one-off fanzine with a view to organise related events in the future. If you're a writer, editor, promoter, illustrator, designer, fan, manager, PA or PR...anything, so long as you care about and contribute to the media and music industry, please contact me on drunkenwerewolf@hotmail.co.uk."

She also posted a video put together by Kill Rock Stars, a record label with a "tradition of being queer-positive, feminist, and artist-friendly". It is awesome so I will repost it here:


Women Who Rock from Caitlin Wittlif on Vimeo.


This ties in very well with the Riot Grrrl videos I mentioned in the previous post, but focuses the attention on music journalists. Music business is infamous for an extremely exclusive attitude towards women, and there's not nearly enough reaction to that kind of treatment. From my personal experience as a former radio dj, former zine co-editor and designer, and current concert-goer, record shop visitor, and music fan, I can say that doing anything with music is very gendered. And as a woman you are expected to know less, have inferior taste, and a less serious approach to everything. The zine I was co-editing and designing was published by UCLU Live Music Society, whose president was surprised to see me at one of the society's meetings, failed to recognize me as a valid important member, and instead, asked me patronizingly if I, too, was interested in music. Then he proceeded to undermine any suggestion I made, especially if it was critical, and exclude me from any decision making or discussion. I was the only female present, of course, and I left the meeting with a firm intent to stick to my own business and never again try to influence what was to be done under the greater scope of the society. Unfortunately, similar things frequently happen in casual conversations about music. A lot of my male friends who have a serious interest in music tend to talk about it only with other males and address them specifically, even if women are present during the conversation, and they have an interest in music as well. It's considered "a man's thing" to the extent that many of my female friends, discouraged by this exclusive dynamic created by their friends and boyfriends, have stopped trying to express their point of view and participate in the male-dominated discussions. That often also means they have become convinced they don't know anything about music, that their opinion doesn't matter, and their tastes are irrelevant. It makes me furious, it makes me sad.


But thankfully, not all women are like that. My friend Kate Ross is a bright example that women can hold a strong and serious interest in music, and execute it with brilliance. Kate co-hosts a radio show on Rare FM, every Sunday at 8PM GMT (9PM CET), has interned for Mojo magazine, and I dearly hope will become a professional music journalist following her graduation. She has an unparalleled knowledge, especially of anything related to the 70s punk scene, a dedicated and vivid interest in many genres of music, respect and recognition for unsigned/local artists, and an attitude that lets her express her opinions confidently and defend them, no matter how many self-important male wannabe-music experts are involved. A woman to admire, an example to follow!

If you have any thoughts on women in the media/music industry, let DrunkenWerewolf know, and spread the word about their request. Comments to this post are also greatly appreciated!


ps. There is an ace event going on in Espai Motel in Barcelona tonight - an inauguration of a film cycle dedicated to women. First screening: La ciénaga by Lucrecia Martel, and a gig by Your Kid Sister. A blog post will follow.

1 comment:

marta lucy summer said...

incidentally, both Kate and Drunken Werewolf are from Bristol.